Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lucid Lynx installed

6 months ago, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 side by side with Windows XP on a laptop. I let Ubuntu livecd to do all the task, resize XP partition, create Linux root and swap partiton. It worked flawlessly. Each time I start this laptop, I have a chance to choose between Ubuntu and XP, by default Ubuntu.

Last week, Ubuntu 10.04 RC released. It's time to upgrade but the problems are:

  • Ubuntu 9.10 automatically assigned 6ish GB to Linux partitions (/ and swap). It's not big enough to upgrade directly.
  • if I remove these 2 partitions, I cannot get my Windows XP started because GRUB will be damaged.

It seems the only way is to accept previous partitions and install new version on them.

When I was just about to start, I got another idea, better and risky. I removed Linux partitions using GParted, resize XP partition to use this newly freed space. Note that I unchecked Round to cylinder, otherwise error occurred. At this time, I could not boot this laptop to Windows XP, grub rescue prompt is shown and I don't know what to do in it.

Then I booted the laptop with livecd and did just the same as I did 6 months ago. I worked and Linux partitions now occupied 12ish GB. I'm happy to work this out and happier to see a more confident Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment